Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Oxbow Regal Rat Food, 3-Pound Bag


Speaking for the rats....
Gus said, "I generally grab the Oxbow and hoard it, along with the Mazuri cubes. I prefer to eat fresh food. But it's nice to have something to fall back on .... Assuming Laslo doesn't plunder my stash, the twit."

Laslo said, "My pen mate doth protest too much. He wasn't gonna eat that other stuff anyway, and if he wanted to protect his hoard, he should hide it better. And don't listen to anything he said about the vet weighing him 80 grams lighter after a couple of months. It had NOTHING to do with my, uh, borrowing his Oxbow pellets."

Fawn said: "My owner drops the Oxbows all over the cage for me to 'hunt and gather,' so I do. When push comes to shove, I eat 'em -- especially when my owner cuts off the food supply to get me hungry enough to eat yogurt stuffed with yucky-tasting medicine. Don't need meds, don't want meds. I hate the vet. But Oxbow is okay. They say it has all my nutritional needs met. Hmmph. I still prefer cooked salmon and yam balls sweetened...
Best food for Rats!!
After much research, I decided Oxbow Regal Rat was the best food for the nutrition content my ratties need. Corn (which is not good for ratties) is not in the main ingredients! I find that this food brings out the best in my ratties: shiny fur, radiant personalities, and great health overall.

The best thing after opening the bag is that it's RESEALABLE!

Also, I heard that this may not be the most palatable food for rats, so I contacted the company. They said that most rats take a while to get used to it because they're transitioned from another food, but if ratties are started on it there's no issue. The recommendation is to feed Oxbow Regal Rat to ratties 4 months and older, so before that, just use another pellet to provide the growth nutrients. For my young rats, I supplement with Native Earth 18% (used to be Harlan Teklad) for the extra protein, then wean them off so the Regal Rat is all they get (with treats like fresh and prepared people foods, of...
wish the rats liked it better
I think this is a really healthy food for rats, it smells very fresh and is

attractively packaged, and the only thing I find wrong with it is that my

rats don't particularly like it. They will eat it quite well for a few days,

but after that they kind of politely ignore it until there's nothing else in

their bowls. Then they hide it behind their boxes or stack it in the corner

as if by emptying their bowls they can cause new and DIFFERENT food to

appear. Aside from that it really is the best rat food that I've found.
Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment