Saturday, November 9, 2013

Kaytee Supreme Diet for Guinea Pig, 5-Pound


YUMMY!
I have to say that the 2 reviews were right on about the taste and smell of this food for our GPs. I bought this based on price as well - very well priced! As soon as it arrived I opened the bag and brought it into the room where the GPs are. They came out of their house and sat next to the door to their cage and sniffed. I was very impressed since they always hide when I come around them. Oh, and yes they eat it like turkey on Thanksgiving! Conclusion: great food! great price! Buy it every time!!!
"Blehk!"
...at least that's what my guinea pigs said!

I should have listened to some of the other reviews about this food; I'd seen that it was lower in Vitamin C (an essential vitamin to guinea pig health, just like humans), but figured that in a pinch, I could add some additional fresh fruit, and maybe a Vitamin C yogurt drop to their diet, as well.

The "pigs" didn't like that idea - and wouldn't touch the food. It's like they knew it wasn't going to support their systems.

Ultimately, I contacted Amazon and returned this food, and purchased another from a local pet store that had "Vitamin C" written all over the packaging instead - which they ate, are eating now, and love.
Does it have enough vitamin C?
I just received this guinea pig food today and was looking it over and reading ingredients. As all you piggy lovers out there know, guinea pigs, like humans, can not survive without vitamin C. Most guinea pig pellets are supplemented with vitamin C to prevent this deficiency. It is basically the only difference between guinea pig pellets and rabbit pellets, which are often much less expensive. No where on the label for "Kaytee Supreme Diet for Guinea Pigs" does it mention vitamin C content. Not anywhere. It is an ingredient, but they don't mention how much is in it. If you buy this, make sure your pigs get plenty of fruits and veggies. Mine always do anyway, but I like to know their pellets support this need as well.
EDIT: New bag has arrived. The label has been changed to include the Vitamin C content. THANK YOU! The review has been changed accordingly.
Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment