Sunday, October 27, 2013

Virbac Anxitane M-L Dogs 100 mg x 30 ct


Works well for separation anxiety
My normally very mellow beagle had very bad separation anxiety. The neighbors let me know how vocal she was when I wasn't home and she started scratching the door. My vet recommended Anxitane so I gave it a try. It took around 3 weeks to have the full effect (vet said this would happen) and after that it worked great - no more howling and scratching. I tried taking her off it after a year or so and the behavior issues started again (after a couple of months) so I put her back on it again.

Your dog will need to take this every day for it to be effective - it builds up in their system, it's not a quick 'rescue' type medication. My dog has had no side effects (no sleepiness) and she seems much happier.

We've been using this for about 3 years and was paying over $40 a box at the vet. I'm delighted that Amazon is now carrying it and highly recommend it.
It does help
I had read about this product when working at a Vet Hospital and was interested in the information that I gathered but did not, at the time, have the need to use the product. I recently acquired an adult dog that had not had a lot of exposure. She was nervous about many things, men being one of the main stress points. This created problems with my husband and her growling at him. This however was not the only problem. Determined to have her trust us and live happily in this new environment I decided to give Anxitane a try. It took about a month to see a change. It was subtle at first but once we began to pass that month point it was clearly helping her be less anxious about things and therefore not be as quick to growl or flinch away from things that worried her. I am very happy with this product, glad that I waited for a while to see if it helped.
No help for my dog, but worth checking
The active ingredient in this product is L-Theanine, an amino acid that, according to Wikipedia, is primarily found in tea. WebMD.com further states (in relation to humans) that Theanine is taken "for anxiety and high blood pressure, for preventing Alzheimer's disease, and for making cancerdrugs more effective." Theanine is considered a safe food supplement for humans and dogs. Anxithane M&L is the L-Theanine version for dogs. (Also search for Theanine on AnimalPlanet.com for more information.)

I rated this product solely for its effect on my 14-year old dog, who suffers from night-time anxiety due to early cognitive dysfunction (senior dog dementia). My one-star rating therefore does not represent this product's potential benefit to other dogs. After three months of carefully following the directions, I did not see any decrease in my dog's anxiety and distress at night.

Before giving this product to my dog, I investigated it to ensure its safety. The U.S. Food...
Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment