Sunday, October 27, 2013

Himalayan Dog Chew, Large 3.5 oz


Great clean treat
ATTENTION: Don't throw the treat away as others have, read below:

I first learned of this treat from a booth at the Portland Pet Expo, and it has turned out to be an excellent, safe chew for our golden retriever puppy. When we first gave it to her, she absolutely loved it and chewed it for 15+ minutes straight, which was quite an attention span for our then 11 week old puppy. The pet expo sold samples at a discount, but said the retail price for this size chew was ~$24, so I was glad to find it on amazon for so much less.

The himalayan chew is a combination of cow and goat cheeses, which is smoked for 7 months to produce a very hard chew which softens with puppy slobber. It does not stain, smell, or splinter. The only potential risk is a choking hazard as the chew gets small (what bone doesn't have this risk?). However, we learned a trick at the pet expo that most people here don't know:

DON'T throw away the treat. When it gets so small you worry about...
Great all natural long lasting entertainment!
I am now on my third package of Himilayan dog chews from Amazon. They are amazing and you can't beat the free shipping from the suppliers on Amazon! My search for a long lasting chew started when our lab/doberman puppy was only about 3-4 months old. I had read so many good things about bully sticks so I ordered them and then just about threw up when I smelled them! I tried to look over it, gave it to our pup (who loved it) but then not only did it smell while he was eating it, but his breath was stinky for a while afterwards! Plus, I'd say the bully stick didn't seem to last much longer than a regular (non-stinky) rawhide. Then I ordered the Himilayan dog chew. He wasn't sure how to approach it since it is literally rock hard. But, then he started scrapping it with his teeth. He isn't the type of dog to take big bites so he's never gotten any big hunks off of it. One chew last weeks since we usually save it for an after dinner snack/entertainment (1-2 hours at a time). Not...
Not quite as long-lived as I hoped...
I bought this at my local high end pet food shop for $9. I brought it home, and gave it to the pup on the patio. My dog is a 70 lbs lab/pit mix around 1 year old. The good: he loved it and didn't upset his stomach at all. The not so great: lasted about 90 minutes, in two sessions. I gave it to him on day one for an hour, and he finished about 30% of it, then I took it away and saved the rest for the next day, which only took him like half an hour to seal the deal (nothing left whatsoever). It's fun for a try, but at $9, I think I won't buy too many more.
Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment