Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Taste of the Wild Dry Dog Food, Hi Prairie Canine Formula with Roasted Bison & Venison, 15-Pound Bag


lots of good ingredients-- holistic health approach-- but high fat and protein
My dogs liked the taste of this food just fine, although they didn't go crazy for it. (I purchased it for a dog who was very thin and needed to gain weight.)

The ingredient list of this food sounds great-- no corn or other indigestible grains, and lots of great healthy vegetables, fruits, and carbs in addition to high quality meats and probiotics. There are NO yucky "meat by-products"-- just meats and meat meals you can feel good about. Unfortunately this food has a higher than normal fat and protein content. Very high protein (minimum 32% in this food) may not be a good choice for every dog (this is especially a concern for older dogs). The fat percentage (minimum 18%) may great for working dogs and active dogs, but the average American couch potato dog could pack on pounds with that much fat unless you increase exercise and/or reduce your portion size (and that may lead to a dog who doesn't feel full/stays hungry).

If your dog is already overweight you...
WARNING! Formula Change!!!!!
First of all I would like to say that my puppy LOVES this food! I have a 4 month old Lhasa Apso and he licks his bowl well after he has finished eating. When I first got him the breeder had him on Purina Puppy Chow. The first thing I wanted to do was to switch him to a high quality, no grain diet and after alot of research and reviews,Taste of The Wild always came on top(dollar wise). After the switch I immediately noticed a difference in my puppy.His coat is starting to shine and is sooooo soft to the touch. He has so much energy now and he has less eye discharge and less ear odor(due to being allergic to the Puppychow). My only problem I have with this product is when I went to my local pet store to buy him a 15lb bag. I immediately saw on the bag "Now made with Purified Water and More Bison" and I thought to myself; "wow they made it better", but after reading the ingredients boy was I wrong. They might have added more bison but they totally eliminated venison from the list...
First bag went really well, 2nd and 3rd made all 3 dogs violently ill
I have purchased 3 bags of Taste of the Wild Bison and Venison. I had 2 Standard Poodle when I purchased the first bag. My 5 yr old SP is notoriously picky and has a very sensitive stomach. She LOVED this food. We went through the first bag and both were doing great. (Gaining weight which is very hard for her to do). So I ordered a second bag, exactly the same. They ate almost all of it over several weeks and all was fine. With the last several cups in the food container the 1 year old SP became violently ill like she has never been before. The older one then became sick. I figured they had gotten into some thing outside and reordered. The 3rd bag came several days later, both had recovered completely by this time. We also got a Bichon Frise puppy about a week before this. The older dogs had Taste of the Wild late in the afternoon and the puppy grabbed some they had spilled on the floor. All 3 dogs then became ill, throwing up all night. Immediately the next morning I removed all...
Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment